So. I’ve been working through ADF’s ‘Wheel of the Year’ book, which takes you through the Dedicant Path a week at a time – but I’ve been quite scrappy about some weeks. I think I need to go back over the weeks I didn’t do in enough depth. And also start the five months of meditation in earnest – as near to daily meditation as I can get.
My aim for this week is to do the First Oath. ADF suggests (but does not require) that dedicants might want to start their path with an oath – nothing big, and nothing involving dedicating your entire life to a path or deities you aren’t sure about yet, but a kind of stated intention to take the path seriously. When I started, I sort of didn’t get round to this, so it never happened. I’ve been doing the DP for nearly six months now (seriously, where does the time go?!), but I’m going to go back to this and actually do the First Oath. That might help me take things more slowly and comprehensively. Then next week I’ll start blogging virtues and other things I’ve haven’t done properly yet. Look! I said it to all my (three) readers! That usually helps me get things done.
I’m also planning on doing at least some of the 30 Days of Paganism meme – probably a bit modified. The list is below. I probably won’t be able to do 30 consecutive days, but I will try to write about most of these things.
30 Days of Paganism
1. Beliefs – Why Paganism?
2. Beliefs – Cosmology
3. Beliefs – Deities
4. Beliefs – Birth, death and rebirth
5. Beliefs – Magic, spellcraft, mysticism etc
6. Beliefs – The power of prayer/reciprocity
7. Beliefs – Patronage and other deeper relationships
8. Beliefs – Holidays
9. Deity Gender [This should be fun…!]
10. Patrons [I don’t subscribe to the idea of patron deities – so I’ll go with ‘household deities’]
11. Pantheon – For these posts, pick a deity or speak of elements of the
pantheon, such as tribes or nature spirits, etc.
15. Pantheon (a different view) [Will probably talk about ‘other’ deities here]
16. The meaning of terms like “earth-based” and what they mean to this path
17. My ways of worship
19. Paganism and my family/friends
20. Paganism and my relationship
21. Other paths I’ve explored
22. Paganism and major life events
24. Personal aesthetics with magic and ritual
25. Priest? Clergy? One or both? Neither?
26. Any ‘secular’ pastimes with religious significance, and why
27. How your faith has helped you in difficult times
28. One misconception about Paganism you’d like to clear up
29. The future of Paganism
30. Places of spiritual significance
And in not-specifically-Pagan news…
– SJ built me an altar cabinet. (OK, that’s fairly Pagan.) It’s just an Ikea bookshelf with doors on the front, but it means I can keep altar things safe and that I have much more space. First thing I’m going to do is give the top cupboard to the saints who are either my patrons of a kind, or who consistently help me with magic. I feel like they deserve more than being shoved in a corner between my ancestor shrine and my stone collection. I’m now looking for a pretty little wheel for St Catherine, maybe an icon of Holy Sophia, and something bee-related for St Gobnait (who already has her little bottle of well water). Photos of the saints’ area will follow when I have some of those pretties.
Above: My new altar space. (SJ has already come in and asked “But where do your ancestors go…?” Heh.)
– Life. Life is a little bit stressful. Final diagnostic appointment came and went, re: Asperger’s, and it was something of a mixed bag. I’m relieved to have the diagnosis at last (only took 35 years), but sad. The psychiatrist said that I (and SJ) would have to accept that this may be as good at things get for me. Which I have complicated feelings about. SJ and I are going to set up a video-blog about the fun of adult-diagnosed Asperger’s and related things (since we are a team). I’ll link to it here, when we get it done. Also, she was the best psychiatrist I’ve *ever* met and I’ll be writing to the hospital to say thank you. (I do enough complaining about bad service from medical professionals. I should thank the good ones.)
– I am apparently incapable of working. Big block in my head on getting anything done. Only about a month and we’re going on honeymoon. I shall keep focusing on how I do not want to have to take work to America, which might help. Motivation needed, though!
Expect a few more general, think-y posts from me to start arriving. Hopefully short ones.